Saturday, March 7, 2009

Whose daughter is this?

Let me give you a couple of examples, as we were discussing this over our wonderful breakfast of ice cream (see my wife's post on this). At the time, living through both of these were I guess you could call ' inconvenient' but as I've looked back, it's become something much more wonderful. The first example is: whenever I would work on our yard in New Jersey (mowing primarily), I would have to wear her in a sling. It's unfortunate we never got a picture of me in shorts, t-shirt, and sling. I remember so many occasions when she would be asleep while I was working, and it would be sweaty and uncomfortable, but at the same time, I knew I wouldn't be able to put her down so I just kept going. It was one way to make sure she got some sleep. The second example is a little more amusing. While I was gone at work during the day, she would be happy with mommy and sisters. As I was in the military at the time, I wore a uniform complete with boots. The house we lived in at the time had a nice big porch. Every day, when I walked on the porch, she would hear my boots and immediately start crying and carrying on until I would hold her. We had an friend who was witness to this, as she was holding her when I came walking in and said 'you were just fine a minute ago' when the crying ensued. Wonderful memories as we've looked back. We laugh now, but we certainly weren't at the time. One of the more difficult instances was, during her last open heart procedure, she wouldn't settle down to sleep at night in the hospital unless daddy was there. It can be difficult to have to sit watching your daughter suffering, and at the same time waiting for her to drift off to sleep, and sometimes get halfway out the door and have to come back because she wasn't as asleep as I thought, but it gave me time to be with her and focus on what was truly important in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment